Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ - I. 7 Steps to Registration at the University Mozarteum Salzburg:

When you passed the entrance exam, please observe following specification:

  1. WHAT: Create an applicant account only if there is no Mozonline account yet
    WHERE: at all personal computers with internet browsers
    HOW: browse to this link and click on the "de/en"-button:
  2. WHAT: complete your registration by showing following things:
    • ID-Number of students pre-registration (printout is recommended)
    • Passport (original and photocopy of passport – copy of name and photo)
    • students who need visa: photocopy of visa
    • only for Secondary School Teacher Accrediation: school leaving certificate (original and photocopy)
    • only for Master Study: bachelor certificate (original and photocopy)
    • only for Postgraduate Course: master certificate (original and photocopy)
    Keep in mind: all documents have to satisfy the rules regarding authentication/verification and translation
    WHEN: in the general admission period
    WHERE: Servicepoint, Mirabellplatz 1, EG004, ground floor
  3. DEPOSIT SLIP: Tuition Fee if necessary and Students Fee.
    You will get your deposit slip together with your studentcard and the PinCode for MOZ ONLINE
  4. PAYMENT: Do the bank transfer immediately.
    Last payment: End of general admission period, February 5 respectively September 5.
    (Later Payments in the extended period till November 30, respectively April 30 maybe enforce  a higher tuition fee)
    University Course: pay the course fee and student fee.
    TIP: payment by telebanking: note also your customer data.
    In case of international transfer use BIC and IBAN:
    for the tuition fee: IBAN: AT37 6000 0000 9606 1204, BIC: BAWAATWW
    for postgraduate university course: IBAN: AT38 1100 0099 5325 8200, BIC: BKAUATWW
    Only in case of full payment of the tuition fee / fee of university course and students fee
  6. REGISTER TO MozOnline:
    Latest 3 days after payment you can register to MozOnline. Login at the website: and click at the lock button.
    After registration in MozOnline you can register to the courses. For more information to enter MozOnline look at internetsite:
    You have to print out your confirmations yourself by MozOnline. Check the printouts. If address has changed, enter the new one in MozOnline. If your name has changed contact us in the Servicepoint!
    (If you cannot printout your confirmations latest one week after paying, please contact to the Servicepoint!!!)

The staff of Studien- und Prüfungsmanagement wish you a good start in your study.


INFO TEL: (+43) 662/6198-3320,
(+43) 662/6198-3321,
(+43) 662/6198-3324,
Frau Eder:
Frau Sullivan:
Frau Bensmain:
Is it necessary that documents are authenticated / verified and translated into german?

FAQ - II. During the Course

How do I get my certificates?
At the end of the semester the assessments are entered by the examiners into MozOnline. After taking the examinations, individual certificates can be printed out by the students themselves. A valid proof of study success (list of all examinations) can only be printed out in the Study and Examination Management office or in the Service Point.
What does "taking leave from the course" mean?
Students who make an application can be granted official permission by the Director of Studies to take leave for a maximum of two semesters according to each individual case if the following reasons are given:
Completion of military or community service; pregnancy; care of one's own children, or other reasons obstructing study. The application for leave has to be made at the latest by 1 February for the summer semester or by 1 September for the winter semester. During leave the enrolment on the study course remains valid, but participation in lectures, taking examinations and the submission and assessment of academic and artistic projects is not permitted.
For semesters spent on leave no tuition fee is to be paid but the students' union fee (student contribution) including insurance is payable. The payment slip is sent together with the official notice and the course information sheet after leave has been granted.
Students who have been awarded grants should seek precise information from the authority which supplies the grants before applying for leave because students who are on leave from their course of study have no claim to a study grant.
Here you can find the necessary information about leave.
I would like to go abroad for one or more semesters!
You can find information about this at
If you would like to take part in a mobility programme, please apply to the International Relations' Office, email:
How can I obtain a duplicate of the student identity card?
You have to present a notice of theft or loss and another document with a photo. The "Application for Issue of a Duplicate" is available in the Study and Examination Management Office. After payment of the duplicate fee of € 15 the new student identity card will be issued immediately. Bank account details: Bank Austria Creditanstalt, bank code: 12000, account number: 09953258200, payee Universität Mozarteum Salzburg, usage: duplicate student identity card.
How do I obtain confirmation of time spent studying?
Study periods since the winter semester 1990 have been stored electronically. Confirmation of study periods after 1990 can be printed out directly in the Study and Examination Management Office or in the Service Point.
Payment slip not received or lost?
Duplicates of payment slips for paying in the tuition fee can be issued during the relevant enrolment period or extended deadline directly from the Study and Examination area. If you change your address, it is essential to inform us of the new address beforehand!
Where and when do teaching units take place?
Please take note of the information about the study units on MozOnline and also the notices on the departmental boards in the relevant teaching buildings.
Recognition of examinations (§ 78 UL 2002, Federal Law Gazette No. 120/2002 in the valid version)
  1. What is recognised?
    Positively assessed examinations taken by full-time students at a recognised institution of post-secondary education in Austria or abroad, at a vocational school of higher education, a higher institute of teacher training, in courses at recognised educational institutions in Austria, which require the general qualification to study at a university as part of the entrance conditions, or who have completed a course similar to a university course, are to be officially recognised according to the following conditions: by application by the full-time student from the institution for legal matters concerning courses, in so far as the examinations taken are equivalent to the examinations as prescribed in the curriculum. Examinations taken at a university in Austria or at a university in the European Union or the European Economic Area for a specific subject are to be recognised for the same subject in the further course of study at a different university in Austria if the ECTS credit points are the same or deviate only slightly. Such credit points can be generally stipulated in the curriculum. Examinations taken at Austrian conservatories under public law are to be officially recognised following application by the student, in so far as they are equivalent to the examinations prescribed in the curriculum. Such credit points can be generally stipulated in the curriculum.
    Academic activity in companies or research institutions outside the university, which can convey an academic preparation for a career, are to be recognised according to the kind of research activity and research projects of the institution concerned, as well as according to the kind and extent of participation or activity of the student. Full time students can apply for research activity to be officially recognised as an examination.
    Artistic activity at institutions outside the university which can provide artistic preparation for a career, can according to the kind of artistic activity as well as according to the kind and extent of participation or activity of the student be officially recognised as an examination. Full time students can apply for artistic activity to be officially recognised in accordance with the equivalent value as an examination.
    If full time students want to carry out parts of their course abroad, they have to apply to do so, and it has to be officially determined which of the planned examinations are equivalent to the examinations as prescribed in the curriculum. The documents necessary for evaluation have to be presented by the student making the application. Positively assessed examinations, which associate students have taken, can only be recognised for full time studies in so far as they were taken in the context of university courses, or before completing the final school examinations, or the examination allowing a person to study, or the supplementary examination for proof of physical and motory suitability, or the enrolment examination for proof of artistic suitability for the course, for which the examination should be recognised.
    Recognition of an examination is the equivalent of having taken an examination, and the positive assessment of the relevant examination as prescribed in the curriculum on the course for which the examination is recognised.
    N.B.: Diploma, Bachelor or Master examinations taken at another educational institution will only be considered as having equal value as the relevant diplomas at the Universität Mozarteum Salzburg if all the subjects as prescribed in our curricula, written projects completed and guest hours have been attended. If proof of attendance and a listing of all these teaching units, guest hours and projects cannot be supplied, the student is obliged to take them at the Universität Mozarteum Salzburg before enrolment for the diploma the student is seeking to obtain here (Bachelor or Master examination) or to submit them afterwards. Excepted from this rule are the prescribed compulsory periods of practical experience (performances in university concerts) which do not have to carried out afterwards.
  2. Who decides about recognition?
    The Study Director as the legal official person concerning studies at the Universität Mozarteum Salzburg is responsible for recognition of examinations. Further details can be obtained from the Study and Examination Management Office, department of recognition (extension 2102, E-mail:
  3. What has to be submitted?
    In order to be able to apply for recognition, relevant proof has to be submitted. The more detailed these documents are, the faster and simpler is the recognition procedure. For courses and examinations taken abroad, it is especially important to attach the valid curricula and where possible details about the content of the course. The documents have to be submitted either in the original or as a verified copy. Verified translations have to be attached to documents in foreign languages. All foreign documents have to be properly verified.
  4. University Exchange Programmes
    As regards university exchange programmes, such as for example Joint Study Programmes, the possibility of recognition is also stipulated as these form an integral part of the programme. This is especially important for participation in EU exchange programmes such as SOCRATES, LEONARDO and TEMPUS II or CEEPUS; in some cases there are separate application forms for this. The Study Director is also responsible for this. Special assistance can be obtained from the Foreign Study Office (Ms. Elisabeth Skärböck) where the necessary forms are also available.
  5. Where is the application for recognition to be made?
    The necessary forms are to be completed and submitted by the student to the Study and Examination Management Office in the department of recognition, Makartplatz 5, 3rd Floor.
    A separate sheet is to be used for each period of study.
  6. Official Completion
    The application for recognition is to be submitted to the Department of Recognition which passes on the application to the Study Director who makes a decision.
    The completion and handing over of the official notices occurs after notification by e-mail or by post by the department of recognition. The application as well as the official completion are filed in the student's records.
Further information can be obtained from the Study and Examination Management Office, department of recognition, telephone: +43 662 6198 extension 2102, e-mail:
What are ECTS points?
According to the terms of transition of the University Law 2002 concerning courses, § 124, paragraph 2, the study commissions have to allocate (by 1 July 2003) credit points to all curricula approved by University Law ECTS in accordance with § 13, section 4 Z9 and § 19 paragraph 4 of the University Law, and indeed for the individual study achievements (teaching unit examinations, scientific projects, practical work, excursions etc.)
The relative proportion of the work load related to individual study achievements is determined with these credit points, whereby the workload of one year is allocated 60 credit points and the workload of one semester is allocated 30 credit points. The annual achievement of 60 ECTS credit points amounts to 1,500 real hours (§51, paragraph 2 Z 26 UG 2002), i.e. 1 ECTS point is awarded for 25 working hours.
With immediate effect the ECTS points are stated on the teaching unit certificates and on the "proof of study success".
The workload (= overall extent) amounts to:
  • 240 ECTS points for diploma courses lasting 8 semesters
  • 300 ECTS points for diploma courses lasting 10 semesters
  • 180 ECTS points for Bachelor courses lasting 6 semesters
  • 240 ECTS points for Bachelor courses lasting 8 semesters
  • 120 ECTS points at least for Master courses
  • 180 points for doctoral (PhD) studies
How often can I repeat an examination?
Positively assessed examinations can be repeated once up to six months after first taking it; at the latest, however, up to the end of the relevant period of study or until the end of the relevant course.
N.B.: The positively assessed examination is annulled when the student takes the repeat examination. Furthermore, two positively assessed teaching unit examinations from the central artistic subject can each be repeated once during the entire duration of the course.
Negatively assessed examinations may be repeated three times. The third repetition of an examination has to be taken before a board if the examination is held in the form of a single examination process. In the case of teaching unit examinations in the central artistic subject the second repetition already has to be held before a board. Overall examinations before a board have to be repeated completely if more than one subject was negatively assessed, otherwise the repetition is limited to the negatively assessed subject.

What happens if I do not pay the tuition fee?
Do the examinations I have already passed become invalid? No. Examinations taken during the current enrolment remain valid.
However, if you do not pay your study fee, a continuation report cannot be made. Examinations which are taken exterior to the effective sphere of a continuation report, and assessments of academic projects which occurred outside the effective sphere of a continuation report are null and void.
An accumulation on the overall number of repetitions does not occur.
N.B.: If you take up studies again after the continuation report has been interrupted, you begin with the curriculum that is current (possibly new) at that time.
Attending teaching units as part of your course
In every semester in which you intend to attend teaching units as part of your course at a university different from the one where you are enrolled, or to take examinations, it is necessary to enrol concurrently at the university concerned.
You have to register the first concurrent enrolment within the general enrolment period (and extended deadline). You must present the student identity card, the current prospectus of the university where you intend to be concurrently enrolled as well as a study confirmation. In the following semesters notification of concurrent enrolment is to be applied for within the general period of enrolment or within the extended deadline, if so desired.
A condition of concurrent enrolment is proof of advance notification having been made concerning the continuation of the course in the relevant semester at the university where you are enrolled.
What is an individual course of study? What do you have to be aware of?
  1. What is an individual course of study?
    The individual course (IC), formerly referred to as an irregular course, offers students the possibility of compiling a course according to their personal interests. The traditional range of courses can be extended in this way and thus take account of the changing requirements of the labour market. Until now it was only possible to approve of individual diploma courses; since 1 January 2004 this is now also possible for individual Bachelor and Master courses.
  2. What do you have to be aware of?
    The drawing-up of a qualification profile is obligatory for students when applying for approval for an IC. A qualification profile contains the description of the qualifications you intend to acquire throughout the course as well as potential usage in a profession.
    The application is then analysed to see whether the compiled course is equivalent to comparable regular courses as regards workload and whether the qualification profile is comprehensible. The compilation of subjects should also be academically and artistically meaningful.
    In determining your curriculum you can choose from the existing range of teaching units (i.e. individual courses can only be compiled from firmly established courses). As soon as the individual course has been approved, the curriculum is just as binding as in a regular course of study and any changes have to be additionally approved. It is recommended to elaborate a course concept from the curricula of the diploma, Bachelor and Master courses from which parts are to be combined, and to discuss this with the relevant director of the curricular commissions. It is also recommended to find out from this director whether the same or a similar individual course that could serve as an example has been approved.
  3. What does the application have to contain?
    The application to enrol on an individual course has to contain the description of the course, a curriculum including the qualification profile, the extent in ECTS credit points, and if the course is to be taken at several universities, the allocation of the subjects to the participating universities.
  4. How do you apply for enrolment?
    Students who would like to apply for enrolment on an individual course should already be enrolled for the subject on which the emphasis of their future course lies. However, this is not imperative.
    Even if the previous enrolment on the core subject of the future individual course has the advantage of accumulating credit points, this is not a mandatory pre-condition for family and study assistance (enrolment on an individual course is not regarded as a change of course, if all teaching units from the previous course can be credited for the curriculum). The application is to be handed in to the Study and Examination Management Office (Makartplatz 5, 3rd Floor, or in the Service Point, Mirabellplatz 1, ground floor 004) or in writing to the Universität Mozarteum Salzburg, Mirabellplatz 1, 5020 Salzburg.
    The application can be submitted at any time (in other words also outside the enrolment period). However, enrolment for the individual course is possible only after approval and only within the prescribed enrolment periods. Please note that the obligatory consultation of the directors of the curricular commissions who are involved may mean that the approval process takes a long time.
The individual course is to be officially approved by the Study Director (the relevant person in the institution), if the course of study applied for is equivalent to a course in a similar subject.
Individual courses at various universities (combination of study courses at various universities to create an individual course): the application is to be made at the university where the main focus of the course lies. The other university /universities are to be informed that the student is concurrently enrolled.