Top Image

About the library

The university library is a service institution of the Mozarteum University that is open to the public. With holdings of over 260,000 media it is one of the largest music and arts libraries of Austria. Its collection policy is oriented at the spectrum of subjects taught at the university: music, theatre and fine arts.

Head librarian: Dr. Manfred Kammerer
Deputy librarian: Mag. Claudia Haitzmann MA
The university library's tasks include:
  1. Acquisition, inventorying, standard-compliant cataloguing of and user-friendly access to all information media required for research, teaching and studying, taking into account the principles of continuity and completeness;
  2. giving university members and the interested public the opportunity to borrow the library's holdings;
  3. licensing and organising access to electronic resources;
  4. providing or negotiating access to academic and artistic information from all over the world, taking into account the respective copyright regulations;
  5. conservation, maintenance and cataloguing of the library holdings;
  6. participation and cooperation in collaborative programmes of the Austrian and international library and information landscape, in particular the Austrian Union Catalogue;
  7. user education with emphasis on information literacy;
  8. public relations, particularly concerning the documentation of the university's artistic and academic accomplishments.
1841

Founded in 1841 by the Dom-Musik-Verein, the Mozarteum music school uses the holdings of the existing Mozart library to cover its humble library needs.

1922


When the school is reorganised as a state conservatory and the ties to its founding body are cut, it becomes clear that a 'school library' needs to be installed. In the school year 1924/25, Bernhard Paumgartner, at the time the head of the conservatory, starts a first attempt to build a basic stock of sheet music from tuition fees and donations.

1930

It is only on 1 January 1930 that shelving and cataloguing can start.
Therefore, 1930 must be regarded as the founding year of the library. The library is managed by a 'Lektor', i.e. a lecturer who is in charge of literature selection in addition to their teaching duties.

1939

The Mozarteum becomes 'Reichshochschule'. The library receives a reading room in addition to its existing infrastructure. State endowments ensure a continuous growth of the library holdings. In 1944, when the Mozarteum is forced to close due to World War II, the library holds more than 10,000 items (8,043 volumes of music and 1,999 books) as well as a record collection.

1947

Reopening based on the significantly reduced holdings after the war.

1971


The library moves to the Hannibal wing of the old Mozarteum building. In late 1975, the library holds approx. 50,000 volumes, 122 journal titles and 3,991 sound storage media. In 1973, the library employs its first full-time librarian.

1977

Due to the construction of a new building for the college, the library moves to the building at Mirabellplatz 1.

1981

When a department of music pedagogics is founded in Innsbruck, a branch library opens, based on an already existing library.

1983

Starting in 1983, two branch libraries (Orff-Institut and Innsbruck) are serviced by the main library.

1994

The introduction of the electronic library system BIBOS and the participation in the Austrian Union Catalogue lead to a fundamental modernisation of the entire workflow and to intense networking with the other academic libraries in Austria.

1999


When the building Mirabellplatz 1 is closed in 1998, the library moves to the Zentrum im Berg (ZIB).

2003

Integration of the university archive and name change to "University Library and Documentation."

2004


The conversion to electronic operations is concluded with the introduction of an electronic lending system, at the main library in 2004 and at the two branch libraries in 2009.

2006

When the new building was opened in 2006, the library moves back to Mirabellplatz 1. The present holdings consist of 260,000 media (books, sheet music and audiovisual media), the library is subscribed to 260 journals, and online resources are continually extended. Apart from the main library, there exist the departmental libraries "Orff-Institut" and "Music pedagogics in Innsbruck" as well as several smaller collections located at various departments.

2007

In 2007, the outdated index catalogue is being converted and integrated into the online catalogue. After the book holdings were added, cataloguing of the music holdings started in early 2009.
Prof. Gerhard Wimberger, who has repeatedly donated autographs to the library since 2008, initiates the constitution of an autograph collection. In the meantime, this collection contains valuable materials by Cesar Bresgen, Barna Kovats and Hermann Regner.

Contact


Online catalogue